Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Tossing about ideas  (Read 18483 times)

June 05, 2009, 12:08:19 PM

I'm known as the evil guy in class design around here. I don't like making happy classes, and I'm just not as good at it anyway. That being said, I was wondering if any of these ideas strike a fancy with people:

Corrupted Mage - Uses the Taint to channel his powers, increasing his abilities yet at the same time damaging his own soul and being. Spells get stronger as he becomes more tainted.

Martyr - Taken from the same sourcebook where I created the Ritual Warrior, this class sacrifices its own life total to create its abilities. Many of these are defensive abilities that allow him to better protect himself and his allies, but enough are offensive or reciprocal that he is well taken care of.

Taint Scourge - This will likely be a chain of three classes, or one class keying off of different attributes, designed around hunting  down and destroying tainted creatures. Can specialize to get a benefit against certain types of creatures.

Foul Warrior - A warrior who cloaks himself and his blade in the foulness of the taint, allowing that evil to creep into his foes and slay them where they stand. Much like the corrupted mage, except for the more martial-minded classes.

Ideas and comments are welcome.
That is not dead which can eternal lie.
 And with strange aeons even death may die.

June 05, 2009, 01:29:56 PM
Reply #1
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Well since i like the whole Corruption theme your going for a foul Warrior sounds interesting.

June 05, 2009, 01:42:36 PM
Reply #2

Me and my evil. I think I've written one base class in all of the DnD classes I've created that requires good. There are prestige classes that do... for that base class. And that's it.

And yes, corrupted warriors and mages are where I feel most at home.

June 05, 2009, 01:51:10 PM
Reply #3
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Well i'm liking your style Stratos i have never gone good in the entire Nwn game. how about maybe a combo between the Corrupted mage and a Foul warrior .?

June 05, 2009, 01:52:42 PM
Reply #4

Cross class comboing.... haven't actually looked at doing something like that yet. It would certainly be an interesting option we could add to Dragon Age. Good enough I'll drop a new thread.

June 05, 2009, 02:02:15 PM
Reply #5
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Cool wasen't exactly sure if it was going to be plausible but thought i might as well throw it out there for consideration . But those 2 combined would be a very nice combo :)

June 05, 2009, 02:15:53 PM
Reply #6
  • Developer
    • View Profile

I guess the good guy classes will all be left to me.  That's ok though.  I have done my fair share of evil content though....

June 05, 2009, 02:25:06 PM
Reply #7
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Lol some players like good as well i suppose but not me never have been good and never will be.

*evil background laugh*[color]

June 06, 2009, 12:27:01 AM
Reply #8

I have never played dragon age so my opinion may be.....well. I like the sound of the martyr. I am not to much of a fan of hurting myself to help others, but that is obviouly needed for the class. Definite damage spells though for him, or maybe leaching abilities and auras. Like I said I dont know this game engine though.

June 11, 2009, 12:40:38 PM
Reply #9
  • Adept
    • View Profile

So, I see you share the same sentiment as me when it comes to alignment. Anyway, they may not be part of dragon age, and they may be home-brewed, but the classes from the Tome of Necromancy and Tome of Fiends make for good villains. The classes are fairly unique and I will place the links to the full tomes below. There is the issue of use though because they are homebrewed classes.(although released to the public) However, D&D wiki has them listed, so I am not sure how much permission is required to use the classes.

Tome of Necromancy:
http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=34248

Tome of Fiends:
http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=28828&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

June 11, 2009, 01:50:34 PM
Reply #10

Yup, I've read them from when they were on the WotC forums. Not sure how much necromancy is available in DA though. Plus, I might try for a new take on it, if that is possible.

June 11, 2009, 03:13:42 PM
Reply #11
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Also, since you have so many classes based on taint, why not add in the tainted scholar PrC? It goes well with the corrupt mage to say the least.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 03:22:39 PM by Giygas »

June 11, 2009, 04:16:42 PM
Reply #12

The "taint" is actually meant to be the Blight from Dragon Age. These classes have nothing to do with DnD.

June 15, 2009, 09:42:22 AM
Reply #13

An idea for a neutral class is the dragon hunter, someone who is especially good against dragons. I am planing for a good  and an evil class, but this class can be interesting to someone that decides to adventure in Nevarra. From a devs (David) post:

"Nevarra is a nation, yes. The Pentaghasts are the ruling house there, famous for their dragonhunter heroes in the past -- each of whom led a crusade to hunt dragons to extinction, something they were almost successful at. Granted, the dragons were a scourge for a very long time, but the Nevarrans did it mostly for the dragonbone and the glory."

June 15, 2009, 12:01:52 PM
Reply #14

Sounds like a good suggestion. Shouldn't be too hard to put together something like that, as long as we can determine what kind of monster is being hit or doing the hitting.