Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: You might like to know...  (Read 33531 times)

September 04, 2009, 11:11:58 AM
Reply #15

I will point out that if you're looking for a desktop that can play Dragon Age, even a small one, you'll save about half the cost of the laptop. It's more like 450$ or so to get a DA capable desktop. It's why I don't really consider gaming on a laptop a worthwhile proposition.
That is not dead which can eternal lie.
 And with strange aeons even death may die.

September 04, 2009, 12:06:23 PM
Reply #16

Quote from: TarponCrest

It is vista home version, they said there do not sell them with xp anymore to try used market like ebay.

That company may not, but Dell & other OEMs certainly do.  As well as TigerDirect.  I'd tell them to go jump in a lake if they couldn't tailor a PC to my specifications.

Of course, I'd just build my own & save about $150.

These guys have a goofy name & somewhat garish cases, but they hooked my friend up with a sweet, sweet computer on the cheap.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 12:10:55 PM by DM Heatstroke »
HEATSTROKE

September 04, 2009, 12:07:54 PM
Reply #17

Quote from: ZZGashi

hmmmmm.... You could check this out. It looks like it should have everything you need to meet the recommended system requirements for Dragon Age. Someone might have to check more in depth on the video card though, since I am not 100% sure about that even after reading some benchmark tests that where ran with it. But other wise though, it should meet the recommended systerm requirements and play most of the games you could want for a while. Should also be within your budget, and you can also make an offer on it too to see what the seller is willing to let it go for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-HP-8710w-17-Laptop-WUXGA-NVIDIA-512-HDMI-MS-CB_W0QQitemZ180395352972QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLaptops_Nov05?hash=item2a0066a38c&_trksid=p4999.c0.m14

I'd stay far, far away from HP / Compaq.
HEATSTROKE

September 04, 2009, 06:01:39 PM
Reply #18

Hey, I love IBuyPower, beautiful cases :P

September 04, 2009, 08:19:11 PM
Reply #19

Quote from: Stratovarius

One mans art is anothers crap I guess.

Anyhow, now that I think about, maybe a desktop is your best course of action, luckily, they have ones with small cases that do not take up a lot of room. Hopefully you can find one that meets your size requirements due to the limited space you have.

http://www.xoxide.com/small-form-factor-cases.html
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 08:20:12 PM by ZZGashi »

September 04, 2009, 08:38:24 PM
Reply #20

Quote from: Stratovarius

Some of them are very sharp.  Some can induce seizures.  :D
HEATSTROKE

September 05, 2009, 01:09:32 AM
Reply #21

Wow Thanks for all the responses and suggestions *I do appreciate it*. Strat I hear you that in a kind way you are telling me that a pc is the way to go, as most everyone I speak to has suggested as well.

Some are telling me horrible stories of laptops overheating and graphic cards getting ruined. They say with pc the cooling systems are much better. I really have to look hard into that avenue. I just can't see it working for me though (maybe I will get rid of my couch and get a desk in my living room).

On another note what do you all think about refurbished  computers?
I saw some on Ebay that seemed to be nice price 500.00 or so and I tried to filter the searches to meet the suggested specs for DA. Not to many came out that were not super costly but the few lower priced ones were all refurbished.

Also I should point out that the place I live at has WFI for our internet connection so the few of us that use the internet here have these card things that they give us so that we can get connection. I have seen lap tops have the slot for it but never seen it on pc if I get one do I need to seek something special to use that card?  We get our cable provided by the assisted living home so I can't even order cable for myself to get my own connection:@ for a pc. (this is what I get for having everything included in our monthly fee *my freedom of choice taken away grrr*

Anyway my son is coming to pick me up on the weekend to go on some computer hunting see how it goes this time. Mean while I am hunting on ebay.

Thanks

September 05, 2009, 01:58:27 AM
Reply #22

Generally I get a brand new PC, although I've had a decent time with the refurb I have. Certainly, you can easily meet the DA specs at IBuyPower for 500$, especially if you look at the AMD machines. You'd need to buy a wireless card for the desktop, but almost every manufacturer gives you that option.

September 05, 2009, 03:27:18 AM
Reply #23

Quote from: TarponCrest

Wow Thanks for all the responses and suggestions *I do appreciate it*. Strat I hear you that in a kind way you are telling me that a pc is the way to go, as most everyone I speak to has suggested as well.

Some are telling me horrible stories of laptops overheating and graphic cards getting ruined. They say with pc the cooling systems are much better. I really have to look hard into that avenue. I just can't see it working for me though (maybe I will get rid of my couch and get a desk in my living room).

On another note what do you all think about refurbished  computers?
I saw some on Ebay that seemed to be nice price 500.00 or so and I tried to filter the searches to meet the suggested specs for DA. Not to many came out that were not super costly but the few lower priced ones were all refurbished.

Also I should point out that the place I live at has WFI for our internet connection so the few of us that use the internet here have these card things that they give us so that we can get connection. I have seen lap tops have the slot for it but never seen it on pc if I get one do I need to seek something special to use that card?  We get our cable provided by the assisted living home so I can't even order cable for myself to get my own connection:@ for a pc. (this is what I get for having everything included in our monthly fee *my freedom of choice taken away grrr*

Anyway my son is coming to pick me up on the weekend to go on some computer hunting see how it goes this time. Mean while I am hunting on ebay.

Thanks

Have you looked into the small cases that I posted some examples of in my previous post at the bottom of page 1? They might help with your space problem.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 03:28:20 AM by ZZGashi »

September 15, 2009, 03:13:04 PM
Reply #24

Well I decided to go with Gateway. A guy there had a laptop *forget the model number* but it seemed just as "powerful" as the pcs.

To convince me that I was not getting scammed the manager there said that they will wait till I bring them a copy of Dragon Age and they will not only install it for me but optimize it so that it works real nice (something about being able to overclock if I need to go online while I am playing... Have no idea what all that is but all the young guys seemed to be hooing and haaaing lol) and I will get two years to bring it back and upgrade it for just the cost of the upgrades should the games get to where they can't be played with the specs it will have. I asked them to make it using the recommended specs for Dragon Age the only thing they are going to do different is that it will have 1gb of video dedicated instead of the 539(what ever that is on dragon age specs forget). and they are making it duo core not quad {quad is to expensive and they tell me that it will only improve in about 10 % at best verses the single core to the duo core is an improvement of 26-29%} I told then that as long as it runs Dragon Age I am happy ;).

Anyway I went to the gaming store (game stop I think it is called) and was informed that Dragon Age was pushed back again? Is that true? He said November 3ed now? Anyway not a big deal for me as I know how hard the PRC team works and I know it will be worth the wait.

BTW when I was there lots of people were talking about something called Aion that is coming out next week? When they said it was about character building and customization they got my attention and I listened sounds like a nice game. I thought to myself for sure it was PRC work the characters look very "Kool" anyway I hope it is made by you all.

Thank you all for you help with my new computer purchase. I am happy with what I will get made for me. I was told it is as close as one can get to a PC and should last me for a while as you all get creative and more advanced technologically.  I am exited because I will also be able to play NWN2 now the gateway guy said he would install that for me as well.

But something tells me I will never get bored of NWN1*PRC* that is just the BEST!

Thanks guys.

September 16, 2009, 01:48:59 AM
Reply #25

Thats good. Overclocking basically means they make the computer hardware run faster than the manufacturer intended. Even though it most cases the hardware can run at those speeds but the heat it produces causes some problems, which is why the manufacturer did not orginally make it run like that in the first place. At least thats the general idea, and it is a lot less expenisive to get overclocked slightly older hardware than it is to buy newer hardware that runs at the same speeds.

Any how, it is great that you managed to find people willing to help you out a lot, hopefully everything works out well for you. Too bad I do not have the money to get something better than I have now, it would not be so bad if the graphics card was dedicated instead of on-board, oh well.