Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: You might like to know...  (Read 33534 times)

September 02, 2009, 05:33:19 AM

Hi

I was at my local gaming store today trying to see when there shipment of dragon age was due to come, guess it is not toll Nov 3 now grrrr..

Anyway you might like to know that there is a pretty positive buzz about it here in San Francisco California. I got a chance to see some demos that someone had with them and looks very nice. It almost feels like a revolutionary concept  "an interactive movie".

I think that putting some adds in the movie theaters would be money well spent...

I ask myself is this is a new age in RPG gaming? Seems that way to me.  I got to see something that shifted! into a spider and dragon? I hope so. Everyone is telling me that my computer will not work with the game *sad face* I will wait to see what magic you all do with it before I dare let someone upgrade my computer. *I still hold hope that I will not need to do anything and it will work with less powerful computers*.

Anyway figured I share that with you all. Hope everything is going well on your end. Now I just need to get myself a fluffy sweatshirt *going to show it off at the local gaming store lol*

later.

September 02, 2009, 10:40:26 AM
Reply #1

Well, the specs for the game are online, so you'll know whether the PC works with the game or not. For those who are still running NWN level PCs, yes, you will need an upgrade.
That is not dead which can eternal lie.
 And with strange aeons even death may die.

September 02, 2009, 12:51:06 PM
Reply #2

Quote from: TarponCrest

Anyway you might like to know that there is a pretty positive buzz about it here in San Francisco California. I got a chance to see some demos that someone had with them and looks very nice. It almost feels like a revolutionary concept  "an interactive movie".  

Well before you too ahead of yourself there, at least one other game I can think of did have the concept of an interactive movie, even though I think that putting it into an RPG is a new concept though.

After checking out the specs, my computer should be able to run it somewhat well. Even though I am going to have to clear out my HD though. Games these days are getting so expensive on HD space. But I guess with such technologies becoming cheaper so the average consumer can have more disk space, I guess it is inevitable, and also considering the fact that games are becoming more and more sophisticated.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 12:53:23 PM by ZZGashi »

September 02, 2009, 10:04:37 PM
Reply #3

*headache* Well I just got back from trying to find an inexpensive way to upgrade so I can play DA. Well I forgot how hard it can be to talk computers when one does not know much about them.

Is it true that laptops can't be upgraded? In fact they seem to act like it has to be a PC to play DA is that true?

Can someone tell me if there is a Lap Top out there that can be used for gaming? If so what is a fair market price for one?  Sorry to impose like this but I know little about this stuff and well I have come to trust The PRC team and figured I will get the truth here.  I think the kids at the computer stores see SUCKER stamped on my forehead *frustrated* Last time I got the laptop (The one I have now) was so that I could play NWN2 and it turned out I got scammed and it did not run the game. I do not want to make the same mistake again.

Thanks for any advice.

September 03, 2009, 12:03:34 AM
Reply #4

Quote from: TarponCrest

*headache* Well I just got back from trying to find an inexpensive way to upgrade so I can play DA. Well I forgot how hard it can be to talk computers when one does not know much about them.

Is it true that laptops can't be upgraded? In fact they seem to act like it has to be a PC to play DA is that true?

Can someone tell me if there is a Lap Top out there that can be used for gaming? If so what is a fair market price for one?  Sorry to impose like this but I know little about this stuff and well I have come to trust The PRC team and figured I will get the truth here.  I think the kids at the computer stores see SUCKER stamped on my forehead *frustrated* Last time I got the laptop (The one I have now) was so that I could play NWN2 and it turned out I got scammed and it did not run the game. I do not want to make the same mistake again.

Thanks for any advice.

Well for the most part, yes, they do expect you to be gaming on a desktop. Even though I think that is going to change, even though right now prices for a good gaming laptop, can be much higher than equivilant desktops, I imagine the prices will start falling, as long as you do not mind not being on the bleeding edge of consumer computer technology.

But on to your question. Alienware brands are built exactly for gaming. This will run Dragon Age, along with anything else you want play, only thing is you have to be prepared to drop some big bucks, for the most part anyway, you might be able to find some older ones for a lower price that will run just as well.
http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/notebooks/laptop-alienware-m17x/pd.aspx?refid=laptop-alienware-m17x&s=dhs&cs=19

And then there is also this.
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=DKCWQNR&s=dhs

Any of these should also be enough.
http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop-studio-xps-13?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

Or you could go here and see what they can do for you.
http://www.buydirectpc.com/

I am not sure what kind of budget you are looking at. But for the most part you are probably looking at $1,000 minimum. Unless you can find a great deal on Ebay.

September 03, 2009, 12:40:26 AM
Reply #5

Alienware is very overpriced, you should be looking at other competitors for that.

September 03, 2009, 01:33:57 AM
Reply #6

O.K. thanks for the leads I will do my homework now that I know that laptops do exist for gaming. I still have some time to search before DA comes out.

Thanks you for taking the time on this topic for me, you have no idea how hard it is for us older people to deal with technology. *but I never give up in trying to learn and understand it. At least everyone in the world will be spared of people like me as "nontech savi " people will soon be extinct.

When I think I found something I will post the specs *if I may* to make sure I am walking on the right path.

Thank you guys!

September 03, 2009, 03:53:52 AM
Reply #7

Quote from: Stratovarius

Alienware is very overpriced, you should be looking at other competitors for that.

Yeah I know what you mean. But if you are looking at a gaming laptop, you are still going to have to have a decent sized budget, unless you get lucky.

September 03, 2009, 10:37:22 AM
Reply #8

Yeah, I wouldn't really consider a laptop for a gaming machine. It just about doubles your price and halves your performance. A 750$ desktop is better than a 1500$ laptop, usually by a fair amount.

September 03, 2009, 02:59:11 PM
Reply #9
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Alienware was recently taken over by Dell - Dell have a bad reputation for soldering components in and generally making maintenance and upgrading difficult.

check out online retailers and look for a decent cheap laptop, or, and this is probably a cheaper option, build a decent desktop. mine will run Dragon Age and it cost me five hundred pounds a year and a bit ago.

September 03, 2009, 06:04:28 PM
Reply #10

O.K. I went to a specialty place with my son(who knows more about this stuff) and he is telling me that this will work:

Processor
* Processor Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 / 2 GHz
* Multi-Core processor technology Dual-Core
* 64-bit processor Yes
* Data bus speed 667 MHz
* Chipset type Mobile Intel 945PM Express

Cache Memory
* Type L2 cache
* Cache size 4 MB

RAM
* Installed Size 4 GB (max)
* Technology DDR2 SDRAM - 667 MHz
* Memory specification compliance PC2-5300

Display
* Display Type 17 in TFT active matrix
* Max Resolution 1440 x 900 ( WXGA+ )
* Widescreen Display Yes
* Features TruBrite

Video
* Graphics Processor / Vendor NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS PCI Express x16
* Video Memory GDDR3 SDRAM - 256 MB

Audio
* Audio output type Sound card
* Audio Output Features Harman/kardon stereo speakers

I guess by strats last post 900.00 USD is not to much? I was hoping for less but everything seems to be in the thousands so I figured this may be a good deal. I was a little put back at first because it is discontinued and they are selling me the display.(but I do not mind if it will work and the price is worth it or can I do better for the price?

I live in an assisted living place and my living area is no bigger than most peoples living room that is why I want a lap top I just have no space for a desktop an no desk to put it on just a little dint and well do not want a computer there *grins*

Thanks

September 03, 2009, 11:43:13 PM
Reply #11

What operating system comes with that thing? If it has Vista, see if you can get Windows XP instead. But otherwise it should be good enough, even though the graphics card meets the minimum, it does not meet the recommended. But Bioware is usually good about having their games run well on their minimum system requirements.

September 04, 2009, 12:07:18 AM
Reply #12

I second getting XP if at all possible.  I've heard a good things about Windows 7, but I haven't touched it personally.

That's not a bad PC, either.
HEATSTROKE

September 04, 2009, 04:11:18 AM
Reply #13

It is vista home version, they said there do not sell them with xp anymore to try used market like ebay. Windows 7 are all no good for gamers( as a laptop) they tell me. I am going to shop more see if I find something on ebay or in the newspaper. I am just a bit afraid of getting used because I do not know what I am doing... But does not hurt to shop around maybe I will find something new this week end that has windows 7. I do not want to get something that will not be good (only minimum) because soon it will be no good for up and coming updates and stuff that I am sure dragon age will do.

Thanks for taking the time to answer me back it makes me feel more confident when dealing with this prospect of getting an new(er) system.

September 04, 2009, 05:48:47 AM
Reply #14

hmmmmm.... You could check this out. It looks like it should have everything you need to meet the recommended system requirements for Dragon Age. Someone might have to check more in depth on the video card though, since I am not 100% sure about that even after reading some benchmark tests that where ran with it. But other wise though, it should meet the recommended systerm requirements and play most of the games you could want for a while. Should also be within your budget, and you can also make an offer on it too to see what the seller is willing to let it go for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-HP-8710w-17-Laptop-WUXGA-NVIDIA-512-HDMI-MS-CB_W0QQitemZ180395352972QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLaptops_Nov05?hash=item2a0066a38c&_trksid=p4999.c0.m14