Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Bad STRREF with ToB Classes  (Read 2540 times)

June 25, 2013, 02:19:19 PM

Ok, here's the situation. I've been working on a persistent world module for some time. Originally, I had the PRC set up and functioning completely. I had a hard drive failure and had reinstall. I re-cached the DB and it looked to complete successfully. Since the re-install I'm now getting bad strref whenever I try to select Tome of Battle stances or maneuvers with a ToB class (tested with warblade).

The only thing that has changed by my memory is that I've had to download new dlls since I didn't have them backed up and reinstalling NWN and NWNx. Anyone that might know what's causing this bug? I believe that bad strref usually means it's not reading some .2da, talk file or another file but I'm not certain on this one.

PRC 3.5
CEP 2.4
MySQL 5.6.12
nwnx_odbc.dll 9.2.4

June 25, 2013, 06:12:47 PM
Reply #1
  • Developer
    • View Profile

Bad StrRef error usually means problems with tlk file. Since you are using PRC and CEP, you probably have the PRC/CEP merge installed. Could you check the version of merge haks, please? I'm not sure if tlk strings are cached by PRC code, but you could also try removing all prc*data.* files in NWN/database directory.

June 25, 2013, 08:18:02 PM
Reply #2

Thank you for the quick reply.

I wasn't certain what version of the merge tlk and hak I had since I had the tlk and hak folders backed up and didn't have to reinstall them. For good measure I went and downloaded it again and overwrote the other tlk and hak. They had the same size/date attributes though and still, no change.

The only files in the database folder are PRC ones.

June 25, 2013, 08:47:24 PM
Reply #3
  • Developer
    • View Profile

Could you check if you have same problems in Single Player mode? Try deleting all files from your database folder and run new game (do not load a saved game). PRC will create new cache, hopefully with correct tlk resrefs.

June 25, 2013, 09:27:43 PM
Reply #4

Cleared out the DB files and started a single player PRC module. The module did recreate the database files but I'm still unable to choose ToB maneuvers or stances.

I'm going to rebuild the module from scratch and without CEP installed then report back.

June 25, 2013, 10:16:24 PM
Reply #5

After doing a rebuild with base PRC and nothing else (none of my own haks or CEP haks), it works fine. I think I'll simply build from scratch, adding piece by piece in and checking to see what's causing the issue.

Update-
Added the CEP in to the Fresh PRC mod and ran into the issues again so it's likely with the prccep merge hak I have or the merge tlk. I'll continue to update this with info as I figure it out in case someone else comes looking for information for a similar issue.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 10:38:14 AM by sablephoenix »

July 28, 2013, 12:52:28 AM
Reply #6

I figured I'd update this for anyone that might be having the same issue that I was having.

I've learned that the issue is not with the prccep.tlk file. After eliminating parts one by one I've narrowed the problem down to the prcc2.hak file. When I remove this file and leave all others, the problem is resolved. I've tried downloading a new copy, thinking maybe mine was corrupted somehow but the problem persist. The solution for me is to make my own merge hak, which would likely be for the best anyway.