Player Resource Consortium

Author Topic: Dread Necromancer Inconsistencies  (Read 413 times)

January 15, 2019, 06:01:21 AM
  • Adept
    • View Profile

Greetings! I've been a longtime fan of NWN in general, and several years ago I stumbled upon the PRC and just... fell in love all over again. I finally got around to making a forum account and joining the discord, and during a playthrough of a Dread Necro I noticed some things that don't quite jive with the way they're particularly intended from my understanding.

First one is a bit odd, but might just be a programming limitation given how things work (unsure on that obviously). Essentially, if you use charnel touch to heal yourself when you have Tomb-Tainted Soul it treats you as undead and only heals the 1 hp + 1 per 4 levels rather than the damage component of charnel touch. Most of my experience here is based on the PnP version of 3.5 and whatnot, so I could be wrong and have always thought about this incorrectly, but to my knowledge Tomb-tainted Soul just switches positive and negative energy for damage and healing respectively, I don't believe it's supposed to make you count as undead for any reason.

Second fairly major thing I noticed is again to do with charnel touch actually. In PnP it's a supernatural ability, not a spell-like ability, but the game treats it like one. I'm not sure if there's anything you can do to make that not happen, but essentially it's not *supposed* to cause Attacks of Opportunity, or proc concentration checks when you use it.

I tried a casual google search before posting and didn't really turn up anything, so if these things have been brought up before I apologize for rehashing, I just noticed some things that were off from what I understood their intended functionality in terms of how the PnP works so I thought I'd just mention it.

January 18, 2019, 01:11:31 AM
Reply #1

Re: Charnel Touch.  The way it reads, you're probably out of luck using it on yourself.

"At will, but no more than once per round, she can make a melee touch attack against a living foe that deals 1d8 points of damage, +1 per four class levels"

1) It states you have to make a melee attack - which probably won't work against yourself.
2) It also says foe, which probably excludes yourself
3) It says living foe. Not sure when the DN becomes fully undead. It looks like the DN gets the full template at L20, but picks up Lich body DR perks along the way.

Do the Neg Energy Burst spell-like abilities give you anything? They might once you reach L20, when you get the Lich template. Pretty sure the template gives the undead type, so you should get the benefit then.
Fermi was a Pyrokineticist